Mass transit is a popular form of transportation for Baltimore residents who don’t want to drive, ride a bike, or walk. One main way to navigate Baltimore is the Light Rail, a train that runs through the city. While Light Rail users may not think about what to do in case of an accident, there’s a chance something could happen. A mass transit accident lawyer from Belsky, Weinberg & Horowitz LLC can help you with your claim.
The law firm of Belsky, Weinberg & Horowitz believes in protecting the rights of Baltimore citizens and those who live in the state of Maryland. You deserve to be treated fairly when you’re filing a claim for compensation. We’re here to make sure that your case isn’t ignored or not given the attention it requires.
What Causes a Light Rail Accident?
Passengers on a train have no control over how it’s operated like they do with a car. They depend on the train to be well maintained and run by responsible people. Sometimes, something goes wrong. When a preventable mistake is made, we often say that it happened due to negligence. If negligence caused the accident, innocent people may suffer from serious injuries.
Negligence can occur in a few forms. The following are common reasons why Light Rail accidents happen:
- Human Error. The person operating the train could be speeding. Going too fast on the tracks risks the train’s ability to safely turn and stay on the tracks. The operator may also not be paying attention to the tracks if they’re distracted by their phone. There’s also a chance of someone operating a train while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Mechanical Failure. Trains are supposed to be maintained on a regular basis. When they aren’t checked, the operator may run into an issue with the brakes, accelerator, or have other electrical issues that may cause a fire.
- Train Track Problems. Train tracks also need maintenance so they can support the train’s weight. Unsafe tracks could buckle if they’re old, damaged, or misaligned. This could derail a train. Fast-moving trains going over damaged tracks could cause a major crash and injure many passengers.
The lawyers at Belsky, Weinberg & Horowitz will investigate your case thoroughly and discover how and why the accident happened. Then, we can find the person liable for the accident and start to work on your claim.
What Do You Do After a Baltimore Light Rail Accident?
A train accident is a sudden, terrifying experience. Train car pileups can cause severe injuries like Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and other head injuries, break bones, or cause lacerations and bruising. Particularly bad crashes could result in spinal cord injuries.
After the accident, you will probably be in a state of shock, but it’s important to know what to do after the accident:
- Seek Medical Attention. If you can move, immediately call 911. In the meantime, help others if they need it. Police and firefighters will help you safely exit the train car if you can’t do so on your own.
- Get a Medical Evaluation. Get to the doctor as soon as possible so your injuries can be evaluated even if you don’t think your injuries are serious. Pain and/or side effects can take time to develop. Having a medical professional assess your health will ensure you’re on the right course to treat all symptoms.
- Preserve Any Evidence. Evidence from the accident will help your claim. Take photographs of the accident scene. You may capture what caused the crash, but these pictures will also show the extent of the crash. It’s also crucial to get a copy of your medical records regarding your injuries.
- Contact a Lawyer. It’s better to get started on your claim as quickly as possible so you can gather the evidence needed for your case.
Belsky, Weinberg & Horowitz will fight for your right to fair compensation. You can contact our office today and schedule a free consultation of your case.