Filing for bankruptcy is stressful. You’re left feeling like you don’t have any other options, and you’re making a decision that will affect the rest of your life even though it will provide present relief. This is a serious choice that takes a lot of consideration. One of the steps of consideration would be talking with a bankruptcy lawyer.
In this meeting, you need to take advantage of having their counsel so you know what you’re getting into and can be assured that you’re making the right choice. You need to fully understand the process and what you’re getting into because bankruptcy is not a decision to take lightly—you need to be sure.
Let’s take a look at some of the questions you should ask to get a full picture of bankruptcy and your potential claim.
Helpful Questions About Filing for Bankruptcy
When going into a meeting with a lawyer where you’re considering filing for bankruptcy, there will be plenty of questions swirling in your head. No matter how much you’ve prepared and researched, there are bound to be questions you couldn’t answer on your own and will need to ask a bankruptcy lawyer to clear up for you.
Take advantage of this meeting and ask them all the questions you have because you need a clear view of why you’re filing and what this entails for you. You likely have plenty of your own questions in mind, but here are some important questions to ask your attorney at that meeting:
- Should I be filing for bankruptcy?
- Which chapter of bankruptcy best fits my needs?
- Do I have any alternative options to filing for bankruptcy?
- What are the benefits of filing?
- What are the drawbacks of filing?
- What fees should I anticipate from filing?
- What are the long-term effects of filing?
- Are any of my assets non-exempt?
- What documentation and information do you need from me?
- Are there problems you see with my case?
- Approximately how long do you anticipate my claim to take?
The right lawyer will answer your questions as clearly and openly as possible. They won’t try to steer you in one direction for their personal gain—it will all be about your needs and what best fits your situation.
Once you have a good understanding of your claim, there are other questions that could be useful to ask your bankruptcy lawyer.
Questions for Your Bankruptcy Lawyer About Their Practice
While you want to know the details of your claim and whether or not you qualify for a claim, there are other questions for your bankruptcy lawyers specifically about their practice that will help you decide if you want their help in your case. Making sure that they’re qualified and a good fit for you can be just as important as your bankruptcy claim.
Here are some of the questions you should ask your lawyer about their practice to ensure they’re the right bankruptcy attorney for you:
- Are you a lawyer?
- How long have you been a practicing bankruptcy attorney?
- How many bankruptcy claims have you handled like mine?
- Who all will be handling my case from your firm?
- How can I contact you?
- How often can I contact you?
- What are your fees and do you offer payment plans?
- Will you or another member of the firm be coming with me to court?
- Do I need to know anything else about the process or your firm?
All of these questions should be easy for your potential attorney to answer. If they don’t seem to be honest, or are struggling to give you a straight answer, then you might want to seek out legal help from another firm.
At Belsky & Horowitz, LLC, we understand that you need to feel confident in the claim you’re filing since it’s a big decision. That’s why our bankruptcy lawyer is here to answer any questions you have and make sure you feel informed and supported.
Questions for Yourself
All of the questions above will help you evaluate whether you need to file a claim, what your claim might entail, who you’re choosing as a lawyer, and what fees you might incur from the entire process. Once you have all of those answers, you’re probably feeling confident in your choice of lawyer, but could still need to check in with someone—yourself.
There are some questions that you should ask yourself so that you can be sure you’re making the right decision for you. Here are some of those questions:
- Do you trust the attorney you’ve chosen?
- Are you comfortable with the fees and other costs?
- Did they answer your questions openly and honestly?
- Did they leave any questions unanswered?
- Do you feel fully informed and respected?
- Do you still want to file bankruptcy after all the information they’ve given you?
- Do you want to go with this bankruptcy attorney or keep looking around?
All of these questions are valid to ask yourself so that you’re checking in with yourself above all else. Filing for bankruptcy is a major decision. You want to be absolutely sure you’re making the right choice in what you’re filing and who you’re choosing for legal representation.
Once you answer all of these questions, you can move forward confidently in your bankruptcy claim.
Belsky & Horowitz, LLC Will Fight for You
When you’re filing a bankruptcy claim, you want to be fully informed about what’s happening and know that your attorney has the necessary experience to build you a strong case. At Belsky & Horowitz, LLC, our lawyers are experts in bankruptcy law and know exactly what you need for a strong claim.
On top of our expertise, our bankruptcy attorneys also understand that you need to feel confident in what you’re filing. That’s why we’re here to answer all your questions and give you peace of mind about your claim.
Reach out to our office today so we can schedule a free consultation.