If you’ve been in a crash, it’s likely you’re trying to figure out what to do next. Balancing recovery, work, and insurance company conversations can seem overwhelming. That’s why it’s in your best interests to work with a Hagerstown car accident lawyer.
Collisions happen every day. While every accident is different, negligence often plays a role in the cause. When negligence is a factor, you have the right to file a claim that seeks compensation for your losses. Examples of negligence include:
- Failing to obey traffic laws
- Distracted driving
- Inadequately maintaining your vehicle
- Drunk driving
- Fatigued driving
If you’re ready to get your life back in order, we can help. Pursuing a successful claim starts with having an understanding of what the recovery process tends to look like.
The Car Accident Recovery Process
The most immediate concerns to address after a crash are physical injuries. Even a minor wreck can result in lasting harm. Some of the most common car accident injuries include whiplash, broken bones, lacerations and contusions, sprains, and strains. Severe accidents can result in traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord damage.
Seek emergency medical attention after a crash—especially if you have visible injuries or you’re experiencing any level of pain. Even if you feel okay, scheduling an appointment with your family physician for the same or next day is important. Not all physical injuries are visible, so an examination is necessary. Once you have a diagnosis and treatment plan, you can begin the recovery process. Following your doctor’s recommendations will improve your chances of making a full recovery and help your claim when you pursue compensation.
While you’re focusing on healing you may begin to notice piling medical bills and lost wages from the time you’ve taken off work. Financial struggles can arise quickly after a car accident, especially if the injuries and damages were severe. If you believe your accident was the result of negligent driving, filing a personal injury claim is the most assured way to receive monetary recovery for your losses.
The claims process is complex and multifaceted, but when you work with Belsky, Weinberg & Horowitz, LLC, we’ll build a claim that proves you were wronged. Doing so involves collecting evidence and witness testimony from the accident scene. In addition to that, we’ll use your medical records and doctor’s notes as proof of injury. We have experience calculating economic and noneconomic damages, so the compensation amount we seek for your case will cover all the damages you incurred.
Preventing Car Crashes in Hagerstown
Vehicular collisions are not an uncommon occurrence in Hagerstown. In October 2019, a four-vehicle crash happened on U.S. 40 when a Ford pickup truck was rear-ended by a box truck while attempting to turn. The pickup hit another vehicle, and as a result, the two vehicles spun and hit a fourth car. While the accident was not fatal, multiple parties were sent to the hospital with injuries—some of which were labeled critical.
As a responsible driver, there are a number of ways you can reduce your chances of getting into an accident. If all drivers operate their vehicles more safely, accident rates could decline. Some of the steps you can take to reduce your crash risk behind the wheel include:
- Remain Focused. Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of crashes. It’s important to keep your eyes on the road, hands on the wheel, and mind on the task at hand. If you’re aware of your surroundings and what the vehicles around you are doing, you’ll be prepared for whatever happens.
- Perform Regular Maintenance. Taking your car in for regularly scheduled maintenance in accordance with your owner’s manual is important. This will ensure your car is functioning properly and is roadworthy.
- Be Courteous. Whether you’re driving in heavy traffic or the person in front of you is going slower than the posted limit, it’s important to be courteous to all drivers. When a driver experiences road rage, they’re more likely to drive in a way that could cause an accident.
- Follow the Rules of the Road. Traffic laws exist for a reason. When all drivers abide by them, the chances of getting into a wreck decreases. This means following the speed limit and obey traffic signs and signals.
- Avoid Inclement Weather. While driving in the rain and snow is necessary at times, do what you can to avoid doing so. Road conditions decrease when the weather is poor. Drivers are more at risk of losing control of their vehicle when the road isn’t dry.
Belsky, Weinberg & Horowitz, LLC Advocates for You
Car accidents are traumatic events. If you’ve been in one as a result of someone else’s negligence, you deserve compensation for your losses. Our Hagerstown car accident lawyers are here to help you when you need it most. We’ll investigate your crash and determine who caused it, why it happened, and what you lost and suffered as a result.
Your claim is subjected to a deadline, so it’s important to get your paperwork filed as soon as possible. If you’re ready to seek justice for what you were wrongfully put through, we’ll be with you every step of the way. For more information on the benefits of seeking legal counsel after a car accident, contact our firm today.