After you’re involved in a car crash, there are many responsibilities you’ll need to take care of. You need to inform your insurance company of the accident, take care of your injuries, and start filing your accident claim if you choose to take legal action. You may be wondering if hiring a lawyer is your best chance of recovering damages. Here is some good information to know about when you should consider hiring a lawyer:
Why Should You Contact a Car Accident Lawyer?
When choosing to file a car accident claim, you want to make sure you’re doing everything correctly so you don’t jeopardize it or risk not being able to get full compensation. Hiring legal representation is often the best way to ensure every step is taken care of 100%. A lawyer can provide the following:
- A Completed Claim. Your lawyer will help you file your claim and begin the process to get you the compensation you need to recover. They’ll ensure every step of the claim process is complete as it needs to be and maximize your chances of it succeeding. They’ll also make sure that all necessary documentation, including documents like the police report, all correct and as complete as they need to be.
- No Hassle with Insurance Companies. You won’t have to worry about harassing calls from insurance companies. They may try to get you to settle early, but that will most likely result in you getting less than what you deserve. Your lawyer can be your main point of communication, so you don’t have to deal with insurance companies.
- Peace of Mind. You can rest assured that you’re protecting your rights because you have a lawyer to fight for you and will do everything to get you the compensation you need.
Getting in touch with a lawyer as soon as possible gives you plenty of time to go over your claim and gather the evidence needed to show how the negligent party caused your injuries. Most personal injury claims have a statute of limitations. Waiting too long could make you miss this period.
The Advantages of Having an Attorney on Your Side
When you start the claims process with a lawyer, you don’t leave room to make an error with the process. You’re also making sure that you have a professional who will fight for your rights. Hiring an experienced lawyer gives you the following advantages:
- Experience in Vehicle Claims. Your lawyer should have successfully won favorable outcomes for past clients. They have the training and skills to conduct accident investigations and calculate what you’re owed. It also helps to hire a lawyer who has experience in your specific type of claim. If your accident involved a pedestrian, for example, you may wish to hire an attorney who has specific experience with pedestrian laws in your state.
- Protect Your Rights. There may be a case where the other party may try and say they weren’t 100 percent at fault for the accident and pass some of the liability on to you. This can hurt your chances of getting full compensation. Your lawyer will do everything to prove you weren’t liable for the crash. If you were, in fact, partially liable, your lawyer will try and get you as much compensation possible regardless of being partially at fault.
- Answers Questions. You should feel that you can ask your lawyer questions and address any concerns that you have about the case. Your lawyer will get back to you as quickly as possible and help you understand the claims process and what you need to do.
What If a Lawyer Contacts You?
While it’s important for you to reach out to a lawyer to protect your rights, you should be wary of lawyers who contact you. Lawyers who call you after a car accident may have received your information in an unethical manner, like from the police or the hospital, and that information should have not been given away. These lawyers are often called “ambulance chasers” and you should avoid them.
Lawyers who illegally solicit clients are risking losing their license to practice law. You deserve an attorney who cares about your wellbeing and that you get compensation that will help you recover from your injuries. The lawyers at Belsky & Horowitz LLC understand what you’re going through and are ready to help you with your claim.